Here are some tips I'm going to try to follow in the future from Copyblogger, a blogsite with tips for bloggers. This could be a good set of tips for new bloggers to read:
1) Have a conversation. It's true, the personalities of bloggers tend to shine through their writing. If you feel worse after reading posts time after time, stop reading even if you feel you should.
2) Lighten up. Everyone loves a good laugh, and as a writer you want to make people feel more comforted and happier than when they started. I hope readers can relate to some issues I write about.
3) Be yourself. The older you get, the easier it is. Trust me on this.
4) Be nice. Mamma said so (as did Copyblogger).
5) Get over yourself. It's all about the readers. Keep the focus on the audience.
6) Help people. "The people who run these blogs are constantly thinking about how they can help..Helpful people are popular people."
7) Stop trying so hard. Posts aren't sales pitches.